Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Steel Driving Man



Good morning Gentle Reader,

Decided that in this day and age of abject consumerism that it was time to share a story of how we can once more be treated well. I'm talking about regaining the lost concept of "Customer". Wouldn't it be nice to be treated like a customer, rather than just one more of the desperate box-store hordes wandering the aisles of garish yellow smiles? "We can do that"! Uhhh...no. I don't believe you can.

My story begins on Ebay, but this isn't a shill for that mogul either. Most interactions on Ebay occur pretty anonymously. One buys or sells and leaves shiny feedback regarding the experience. Feedback is fast and easy to use. It effects one's rating and can be read by other potential customers. Generally, if there is an issue with a product sellers and buyers work with each other to take care of the issue. While most of these transactions are done with a minimum of thought, there exists the potential for a healthy bit of give and take.

I have never returned to a box store and stood in customer service to report how pleased I was with a purchase...."The Wahl trimmer I purchased last week is amazing!". How would a customer service representative even respond to that? I have however, emailed my satisfaction with products offered by Ebay sellers. Haven't given it a second thought, in fact. Product arrived as described, I'm pleased, out goes an email.

Alan J. Mott is a 30 year artist and veteran of the hammer and anvil. He's a knife-maker who works with many mediums but primarily railroad, mine and barn spike; antler, wood and horn. AJ's knives are hand-forged, oil quenched and sharpened, the majority of the work done on the anvil with minimal grinding. Even the cutting edge of the knife is done using the hammer and anvil. He'll custom make any knife you can describe and offers many of his creations on Ebay. Every knife comes with a lifetime guarantee to the original owner. Every knife comes with a hand-stitched sheath, also a piece of artwork.


While not limited to the "mountain man neck knife", many of AJ's current offerings fall under this design. The neck or "patch" knife was an small, sharp, all purpose knife carried under the shirt of those who ventured west when the west was still that land that lay "uncharted" beyond the Mississippi. Unlike the larger "sash knife" the neck knife was meant for smaller, detailed work that required a very sharp 2-3 inch blade. Like the friction folder, the neck knife was predecessor to today's pen-knife. As the name implies, the knife is worn in a sheath, around the neck where it is immediately accessible.

My first dealings with AJ Mott came about when I emailed him before the close of an auction on one of his beautiful little knives. I was excited and complimentary, leading the auction quite handily, and leaving soon for a day at work. Upon arriving home I found that I had been outbid while away. I also found an email from AJ thanking me for my compliments and offering a "second chance" offer. AJ would gladly build me a custom knife similar to the one I lost for my last bid. Smart businessman. Not only did AJ appreciate my compliments, he appreciated my bid. Both held worth to him. This simple communication validated my worth as a customer and assured AJ not one, but several quick sales.

AJ Mott's knives are a perfect union of form and function. Many knife makers make impressive looking knives but these fall far short in the field and around camp. I believe that some of the most utilitarian knives are some of the most beautiful. AJ's knives fit both the aesthetic and functional needs of a passing art. Fantasy knives are impressive to look at but give me a knife I can carve summer sausage, limes for gin and tonic, or cape a deer and that's a piece of art to save for a son or daughter. I enjoy a little adornment here and there but I would just as soon not feel like a "Mick Dundee" parody when I pull out a knife I want to use. In my eyes, AJ Mott is doing things right. He makes steel with genuine soul, keeps his wares at a price that doesn't knock out "John Q", and offers an iron-clad guarantee. These knives are functional and beautiful and I'm fortunate enough to own several of them.

In a world thats moved head-long into "Walmartization", in which the customer has been usurped by the consumer, its good to know there are still those who value the responsibility of keeping "customers". AJ Mott values customers, values the communication that is necessary to keep them and is a hell of a good knife maker.

Email AJ Mott at, alanmotts@aol.com and be sure to check out some of his knives here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73MR2vbRiUE

8 comments:

  1. THANK YOU FOR THE KIND WORDS MY FREIND .....YOU LIKE SO MANY OTHERS HAVE FIGURED OUT THE FORM AND FUNCTION ...BETWEEN THE PERFECT UNION OF BLADE AND HANDLE COMBINATION ........I AM THE BUILDER OF THESE KNIFES ......AJ MOTT .....COME HAVE A KNIFE BUILT AND BE TREATED AS A CUSTOMER SHOULD BE TREATED ...WITH THE UPMOST RESPECT .......THANK YOU AGAIN JIM .....THIS IS ONE NINCLY PUT TOGETHER STORY ....VERY MUCH APPRECEIATTED I COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF.THANKS AGAIN ....AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first contact with AJMott or simply "Knife Maker" as I called him for some time, was a Ebay contact where I purchased a Interesting Damascus steel Blade skinner w/a antler handle. Being a dealer, trader, agent, broker, and all around Guy looking for a deal on a knife, the one i stumbled across was his. It went off (sold)at 1:45am so I knew i had a chance at a steal. Something not to often found any longer on Ebay, and I did steal it... Well the next day I was nicely contacted by a fellow telling me exactly that, and by having received such a deal i needed to understand what had gone into the making of such am item and that my "Luck" should not go unappreciated and the universe is a big place...etc, so I did the only thing i could do, i waited till the next night and did it again, from that "steal" on we have been friends, his look at his art is real, he does not have malice toward anyone or anything, his skill comes naturely, with a imagination for the unexpected. He is also a realist, money does not scare him, yet I do not believe it's his driving force, that would still be left to his art. He does not know it, but the world is a better place, due to people like AJ..... Alaskan5150

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.ajsxtremeknifes.com/default.html....hey hey jim here is a link to my website im working on ............check it out ...my freind........aj

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.ajsxtremeknifes.com/............sorry about that this is the link jim............aj

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw one of your neck knives on Ebay. Wow! I have desired a hand-made knife like this for some time and here you are. How does it get even better than this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mott is a thief pure and simple. Avoid this man like leprosy. 3 years later this thief still owes me for a knife paid in full. Oh and his heat treat is garbage. Man is a thief and a Buffon. You are warned.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter